Today’s post is a quick summary of places to go, food to eat and things to do when visiting SF!
There is so much I wanted to include in this post but couldn’t so I will most certainly be doing a follow up post!
Firstly I have a few tips for your trip!
- While public transport is accessible and cheap I would reccommend renting a car for a few days if you want to see more than just the city!
- Plan .. loosely! – While it is great to go to all the places that people recommend etc SF is great for just walking around for hours and stumbling across somewhere amazing! That is how I found many of the places here so don’t be afraid to experiment!
- Bring a jacket! – Although California is notorious for sunny weather SF has fog .. and lots of it! so even if the day starts out sunny , the fog can roll in at any moment and bring the chill!
- Uber- Sign up to Uber – it is super handy (no cash needed) and if you then recommend a friend you get a free ¢20 dollar ride!
- While Fishermans Wharf and Union Square are great tourist spots, don’t spend too much time there! San Francisco has so much more to offer you!
- While the shopping is relatively good it is expensive! So you may be disappointed if you are looking for bargains! Especially with the pretty abysmal euro/dollar rate at the moment.
Now with that out of the way here are my top places to see and do!
The Golden Gate Bridge!
Obviously this is a no brainer!! She is breathtakingly fabulous! A really nice spot to take the bridge in , in all its glory is Golden Gate park! Just grab a coffee from Philz Coffee truck and take a stroll towards the main attraction! (Wear comfy shoes).
Half Moon Bay
Taking a drive on the coast is such a beautiful way to see the amazing north Cali coastline! Be sure to make a stop at Half Moon Bay. It’s a gorgeous beach with amazing views!
This town is across the Golden Gate Bridge. Probably one of my favourite places to go in SF!
This is a must if you are visiting the Bay Area! The boat ride there is such a fantastic experience and gives you a change to take in the city from a different angle! Alcatraz is full of history and is a great day trip!
This is such a gorgeous place to visit! It used to be an old bath house but is now a old wreckage. It is right on the beach so is perfect for a lovely stroll or you can continue towards and go for a hike where you will eventually come across some great views of the golden gate!
San Francisco is known for the amazing food available at every corner. Here are some of the places I have enjoyed so far!
The Ferry Building is a must for foodies! There is some delicious places to eat and on a Saturday and Tuesday there is also a Farmers market! We went to Boulettes Larder for lunch and were not disappointed. We got the pizza and the beef tar tar. The food was delicious and so was the wine! I will certainly be returning!
There is so many Asian restaurants that sometimes it can be difficult to sniff out the good ones! Sai Walk (between Chestnut St and Lombard St) is so so good! I walked in there not really expecting much but was vert pleasantly surprised! While the service could have been better the food completely made up for it! It was so tasty. My prawns were cooked to perfection and even the corn was worth talking about!
If you are looking for some pastries that are so good you will need to sit down after you take your first bite look no further than Mr Holmes Bakery! WOW! I have no words for this place it was heaven! Make sure you get there super early to enjoy the famous Cruffin, they sell out super fast! (Cruffins arrive at the bakehouse at 9am)
I mentioned Sutra Baths above and if you do get to visit then go to Louis Diner to start the day! The breakfast is pretty good but what seals the deal is the amazing views that the booths have over looking the sutra baths!
Honestly I have done very little shopping with the exception of a few Sephora splurges and one or two basics in H&M! The shopping here is pretty good there is plenty of options etc! It is however just as expensive if not more expensive than Ireland. Market St is a pretty popular spot for shopping. There is a large Westfield on this street. The bart stop is Powell, that will bring you straight to the front of Westfield.